WhatsApp Status Feature, How to Use, Con’s and Pro’s
WhatsApp Status Feature, How to Use, Con’s and Pro’s As it’s now known that WhatsApp is rolling out the new Status feature. Let’s go down to understand what exactly it is because you might be wondering that we already had that feature, didn’t we?Instead of the text-only status that lets people know whether you’re busy or available to chat, the new Status feature uses photos, text, emojis and sketches to show what you’re doing. If that sounds familiar, it could be because it appears to be inspired by Snapchat.
What is Status Feature in Whatsapp
WhatsApps new ‘Status’ feature would allow the users to put up their Status in the form of an Image, a GIF, a Sketch, a Text, Emoji’s or a Video which would be longer than the 10 seconds limit n some other social platforms. If that sounds familiar, it could be because such a feature already exists with Snapchat and WhatsApp seems to be inspired by it.
WhatsApp Status Features
- WhatsApp would leverage its end-to-end encryption to provide you with that robust level of protection.
- The Statuses will last for only 24 hours and would disappear thereafter
- Videos can be longer than upto 45 seconds
How do I know If I have the Status Feature
You NO NOT need to install any update from the PlayStore, the feature will automatically show up.
iOS – You’ll know if you have the Status feature if the Contacts tab is replaced with a camera icon and the far-left tab reads “Status.”
Android – The Android application will have a new Camera icon to the left of the Chats tab, next to a new Status tab.
Who can see my status; Privacy Settings
WhatsApp ha the privacy settings which gives you the complete control over who can see your Status. By default, only your contacts can have the access to you Status, however, the privacy settings allow you to change the settings as you please.
How can I use the Status Feature in WhatsApp
Earlier Method Let’s think of the earlier version of Whats app that had three major columns, ‘Calls’, ‘Chats’ and ‘Contacts’. To view anyone’s text-based Status, you could swipe to the Contacts list. To view anyone’s Status, you had to select the contacts list and then individually open the contacts to make the statuses visible.
- In the WhatsApp ‘Status’ column which is a new addition replaced with the Contacts. The ‘Chat’ column stays and functions the same way as before and likewise the Calls column.
- In the ‘Status’ section in the middle, you can view the Status updates of your contacts. If a contact puts up more than one Status update in a day, those statuses will appear consecutively under the same contact name. Look for the White bar on top. The number of parts it is split into indicates the number of statuses that person has put.
- The ‘Camera’ icon on the extreme left allows you to capture an image, make a video or select an Image or Video from your storage library as a Status. Alternatively, under the column ‘Status’, you can select the ‘My Status’ option to put up a new status.
- After the selection, you can write a text caption, add text, use the crop option to adjust the image, add an emoji or sketch.
- You can put multiple status updates, all of them would come under your name separated by a white bar. Look for the White bar on top. The number of parts it is split into indicates the number of statuses that person has put.
- You can toggle between the statuses by tapping the screen or swipe action to select the Status. WhatsApp will display the next person’s Status upon swiping. There is also an option of ‘Mute’ on the top right which will prevent any further Status by that contact to be shown in your ‘Status’ feed.
- There is an option to ‘Mute’ on the top right which will prevent any further Status update by that contact to be shown in your ‘Status’ feed.
- WhatsApp has an option to rely on the Status updates using the ‘Reply’ on the bottom of each status. This way you can send a direct message to the person to which you are replying.
- To delete a Status, open the ‘Status’ and select the Status which you wish to delete, then select the ‘Trash’ icon.
See who all viewed your Status
A counter is available at the bottom of your screen that reflects how many people have watched or looked at your status. You can also see the contacts list of all who viewed your Status by swiping on the screen.
Things you may NOT like about this Feature
Where is the Old Status
The current update does not have the old status which means that you can only see the username and nothing else. The Status feature is what you would need to place any status if you wish to. The simplicity of the application is now replaced with the fancy one.
Only Text Status is Not available
Yes, you read it right. You can use text, captions on the Images nut just not the text. I thin we all do need that simple way of communicating the message with text.
Time Bound Status Update
Whatever you post as your status message in any form, it won’t last beyond 24 hours. So another way to be hooked to the social platform. Maybe good for ones who like to but not for everyone.This is what the new WhatsApp feature wants from you.
Contacts Column is Missing
The current version has a message logo at the bottom which allows you to ‘select contact’ page where you can find all your contacts.This we feel is complicating the simplistic application. All these features add to the complexity and have in a way replaced the WhatsApp application itself. The ease of use is no longer there.
WhatsApp acting like the Social Platforms like Facebook Snapchat, Instagram and not what it was, we feel that it’s identity is all mixed up with other social platforms and all these add-ons have complicated the functionality unnecessarily.